Here is my way to prepare these tasty cheese balls:
Cottage cheese ball recipe:
- - 500 gram cottage cheese (low fat)
- - 1 egg
- - 50-80 grams semolina
- - salt to taste
- - white bread crumbs
- - oil for toasting the bread crumbs
1. Place the cottage cheese in a bowl and crumble it or put through a sieve.
2. Add the egg, the semolina, a little salt and stir to combine. For a fat cottage cheese use more semolina, for dry cheese, use less. The less the semolina, the longer the dumpling stays soft and fluffy, but it is harder to work with the sticky mixture.
3. Put aside and let rest for 20-30 min, so the semolina absorbs moisture from the cheese.
4. In the meantime, toast the bread crumbs in oil, over a low heat. Put aside.
5. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a gentle boil.
6. Shape the mixture into 10-11 large dumplings in the palm of your hands, moistened with water.
7. Slide the cheese balls into the boiling water and stir gently in the first minutes, to prevent sticking. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the dumplings rise to the surface. Boil for another 10 minutes, turn them so they cook on both sides.
8. Remove the dumplings from the water using a slotted spoon, drain and lightly roll them in bread crumbs browned in oil.
9. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and/or serve with sour cream.